PSLCE Primary School Leaving Certificate Exam
The Primary School Leaving Certificate Examination (PSLCE) assesses academic achievement at the Primary School level in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. The PSLCE is written by adults or adolescents who did not complete primary school. The Examination covers the following subjects:
- English Comprehension and Composition.
- English Language.
- Science and Social Studies.
The PSLCE is held annually on Tuesday and Wednesday of the third week in June. Examination results are released in early September.
Who is eligible to write the PSLCE?
You are eligible to write the PSLCE if you are:
- Attending any Adult Education Centre in Trinidad and Tobago. Please follow the link below for information on adult education courses.
- Attending class at any Service Volunteered for All (SERVOL) Life Centre. Please follow the link below SERVOL contact information.
- Housed at any Correctional Centre or Facility in Trinidad and Tobago
In addition, you must fall into one of the following categories:
- Did not write the Common Entrance Examination (CEE) or the Secondary Education Assessment (SEA) Examination.
- Wrote but did not pass the CEE.
- Wrote but scored less than 30% on the SEA.
Standard Five students write the SEA, not the PSLCE. Please follow the link below for more information on the SEA.
How do I register to write the PSLCE?
Individuals cannot register to write the PSLCE. You must be registered by one of the following institutions:
- The SERVOL Life Centre you are attending;
- The Adult Education Centre you are attending;
- The Correctional Centre or Facility in which you are housed;
- Your secondary school, if you scored less than 30% on the SEA.
Registration takes place from January through March for the exam, which is held annually in June.
The Ministry of Education publishes guidelines to assist persons in preparing for the PSLCE. You can download a copy of the guidelines by following the link below, or you can pick up a copy from the Examinations Section of the Ministry of Education at the address at the bottom of this page.
How is the PSCLE graded?
Each of the four subjects is marked individually, on the basis of the percentage of the total score earned. Then, a grade is assigned to each subject:
- A grade of "Distinction" for 75% to 100%.
- A grade of "Credit" for 55% to 74%.
- A grade of "Pass" for 40% to 54%.
- A grade of "Fail" for 0% to 39%.
The Ministry of Education awards the Primary School Leaving Certificate to those persons who earn full passes, which means a pass in each of the four subjects.
Where can I find more information?
More information can be obtained from the Examinations Section of the Ministry of Education or the THA's Department of Education. You can also visit the Ministry of Education's website by following the link below.
Ministry of Education
18 Alexandra Street
Port of Spain
Trinidad, West Indies
Tel. (868) 622-1365, 628-8555, 622-2181 extensions 250, 251, 252
Fax. (868) 628-0094
Opening hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday though Friday, except public holidays.
Department of Education
Division of Education, Sport and Youth Affairs
ANSA Mc Al Building
Tobago, West Indies
Tel./Fax. (868) 635-2219 or (868) 639-3105 / 5680
Opening hours: 8:00 am to 4:15 pm, Monday through Friday, except public holidays